Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Another upgrade

So, I did another upgrade on the already powerful computer. This time it's the cpu cooler. Like the name imply, its job is to cool the most important component: the processor; the thing you paid most for when buying a computer. Cpu coolers are mostly overlooked by people building/buying a computer. It's no surprise since the stock cooler is already sufficient enough to cool the processor. However, for hardcore overclocker like me, every degree of cooling is important to overclock the processor higher.

My last cooler was the Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX. It was a great cooler and had served me well for 2 years. It's keeps the processor cool and quiet at the same time.
My new cooler is the Prolimatech Megahalems aka. the Megatron. I got a great deal and can't let it get away. Currently selling like hot cakes, the Megahalem is sold out in most stores. The retail price is currently $65; and that does not include the fans. The fans will set you back another $15 for a good one. Wondering how much I got them? $45!!! and that includes 2 Scythe fans worth $30 alone.Up close, the heatsink (aka metal part of the cooler) look a lot like transformer's sign. The fans spin at 1900rpm. Moving lots and lots of air to dissipate heat from the heatsink. FYI, I installed 3 of them in the pc. The noise from the fans is not a problem since I listen to my musics far far louder than that.
Now the result...
I'm finally able to reach 4.1GHz and not break 70C. Previous cooler would have reached 80C especially during the summer. As a conclusion, the upgrade was worth it. I'm still pushing for the limit of this cooler. Congratulation Prolimatech. Megahalem is the best.

ps. my next upgrade would be the case. got my eyes on the Coolermaster HAF 922

No comments: